Answered By: KRS Answers Last Updated: Mar 15, 2018 Views: 2398
Please Note: We will continue to update this FAQ, including links, prior to the launch of DynaMed Plus on April 2nd. With the distribution of the pre-launch announcement on March 16, 2018, this FAQ should support you in preparing to use these resources.
Q: What is DynaMed Plus?
DynaMed Plus is the upgraded version of DynaMed which has been available since 2015 in AHS through KRS. As a POC reference resource, it provides concise, up-to-date disease guidance with actionable recommendations for treating and managing patients. DynaMed Plus topics are updated daily with new information identified through rigorous review of the latest scientific literature.
The DynaMed Plus team, which is led by practicing physicians, monitors the content of over 500 medical journals on a daily basis. Each article is evaluated for clinical relevance and scientific validity. The new evidence is then integrated with existing content, and overall conclusions are changed as appropriate.
Q: What's new in DynaMed Plus?
This upgraded version provides:
- Improved search functionality
- Expanded in-depth specialty content
- More than 4,400 medical graphics & images, including 1,000+ images from American College of Physicians
- Linkage to Micromedex drug content
- New mobile app platform
Plus it maintains:
- Editorial process that exemplifies the evidence-based approach to clinical problem solving
- Scannable, easy to read, bulleted format with links to full-text content
- Daily updates, including practice alerts
- Eligibility for CME credits for physicians
Q: What is a Point of Care (POC) reference resource?
POC reference resources are a subset of all electronic clinical reference resources (electronic databases, books, journals, etc.). POCs are highly structured clinical decision support tools that provide diagnostic and treatment information for immediate action at the point of care. POCs synthesize and evaluate the most relevant evidence from the clinical literature, and include succinct actionable recommendations on a wide range of conditions and interventions, rationale for patient care decisions, and links to original studies.
Q: Who would find DynaMed Plus useful?
DynaMed Plus is an evidence-based POC reference resource intended for use by physicians and other health care professionals (e.g. nurse practitioners, etc.) providing concise guidance with actionable recommendations for treating and managing patients.
Q: Why did AHS choose to license DynaMed Plus (vs. other point of care tools)?
DynaMed (previous version) has been available enterprise-wide in AHS since 2015, as a result of a comprehensive review and consultation process to identify a core suite of reference resources for AHS and AB healthcare practitioners. On an annual basis, Knowledge Management, in consultation with clinicians & healthcare librarians across Alberta, undertakes a review of all POC reference resources to inform renewal and licensing decisions.
* AHS’s Connect Care Initiative has endorsed DynaMed Plus as the physician-focused POC reference resource to be integrated with the Clinical Information System (CIS).
* Usage statistics and feedback indicate that DynaMed is a well-used and valued resource for physicians and advanced nurse practitioners
* Research on POC clinical reference tools has found that the content within DynaMed is updated faster than other comparable tools (Prorok, 2012; Banzi, 2011).
* One research study has also shown that authors of DynaMed summaries did not have documented conflicts of interest relating to the clinical content, unlike summaries found in another point of care tool (Amber, 2014).
* DynaMed Plus is the reference resource of choice for the Canadian Medical Association, University of Alberta and University of Calgary.
* AHS is committed to equitable enterprise-wide access to information resources. DynaMed Plus is a financially sustainable option for AHS.
Q: How long will AHS physicians and staff be able to access DynaMed Plus?
DynaMed Plus has been licensed, as is the case with most AHS evidence resources, with a year’s subscription. An annual evaluation of the tool, and it’s utility for AHS clinicians, will inform future renewal and purchasing decisions.
AHS’s Connect Care Initiative has endorsed DynaMed Plus as the physician-focused POC reference resource to be integrated with the Clinical Information System (CIS), effective 2019.
Q: What other point of care tools are available to AHS physicians and staff?
KRS also provides enterprise-wide access to Lippincott Advisor & Lippincott Procedures (launching April 2) , Lexicomp, Micromedex, CPS, and Natural Medicines. A list of popular research databases is also found on our homepage.
USING DYNAMED PLUS
Q: Are continuing medical education (CME) credits available for searches performed in DynaMed Plus?
Yes, in partnership with the Canadian Medical Association (CMA), searches performed in DynaMed Plus are eligible for Mainpro-M1 educational credits. For more information, please visit the CMA website for CME information.
Q: How do I cite DynaMed Plus articles?
The DynaMed Plus resource provides sample citations for DynaMed Plus content in a variety of citation styles.
Q: Is DynaMed Plus available as a mobile app?
DynaMed Plus is available as a standalone mobile application, compatible with Apple and Android devices. More details coming soon.
Q: Does AHS license UpToDate?
No, AHS does not maintain an enterprise-wide license to UpToDate. This page describes how clinicians can purchase an individual subscription to UpToDate for your personal use if desired.
Q: Where can I go for help on how to use DynaMed Plus?
Knowledge Resource Service (KRS) can help you learn how to effectively use this POC clinical reference tool. As of April 2018, KRS will offer online courses taught by a librarian on how to use DynaMed Plus to find and access the information you need. Additionally, online videos are available whenever you need them. Please visit KRS online to register and/or request an education session, or chat with library staff. Alternatively you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.